The Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network (WMMSN) is a 501 (c) (3) state & federal non-profit organization of volunteers who are dedicated to the care of distressed or deceased marine mammals.
Under an authority granted by the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), WMMSN does the following:
- Responds to reports of stranded, distressed or deceased marine mammals
- Assesses the condition of stranded marine mammals & determines how best to help them
- Prevents human contact & interference with stranded marine mammals
- In some cases, careful & safe removal of deceased marine mammals
- Determines why marine mammals have died, performing necropsies when necessary
- Determines if stranded/deceased marine mammal poses a biological threat to humans or marine life
- Educates the public about local marine mammals & how best to cohabitate with them
Use this website to find out about the Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network & discover the many ways that you can help.
Check out our new meeting location.
Next general meeting is November 12th at 6:30 pm. The October meeting has been cancelled.
Details on our fall Christmas Bazaar on November 16th will be posted soon.